My name is Jason McAvoy. I am a 21 year old senior at James Madison University, getting ready to graduate in May 2019. My major is Sports and Recreation Management, and right now I am spending a good amount of my free time applying for jobs in the industry all over Virginia and DC. At JMU I am involved in Catholic Campus Ministry, and my I enjoy going to UREC and meeting friends at DHall for dinner. I am a huge Boston sports fan, but my greatest sports memory is being in DC outside Capital One Arena for the clinching game of the Stanley Cup last year when the Capitals won. My favorite TV show is Seinfeld, and I am almost done with watching The Office from beginning to end for the first time. I am also a stand-up comedian, I’m relatively new to it but I’ve done a couple of open mics in the DC area. My hometown is Warrenton, Virginia, and my favorite thing to do when I’m home is catch up with friends and go to El Agave, the best Mexican Restaurant around. I have no experience with 3D printing but I’m excited to learn something new in my last semester of college. Go Dukes 🙂
My Thingiverse Account: https://www.thingiverse.com/jtmcavoy/about
I chose this model because I like giraffes and I lived the rigid design of this one and how it looked sitting down.
The giraffe turned out good, with the exception of the chin, which was a little frayed. I think this was because the face juts out from the body. Otherwise I was happy with the way it turned out.
20 Forms in Tinkercad
Summary of Group Tinkercad Project
- SS 3D, worked with Jon Cheslock
- We had some mishaps with the first draft, namely the bottom was not smooth and it was hard to get the pieces to fit together. We slowed down the print speed for the final draft and added some supports. The final draft turned out much better, I’m happy with how it looks.
Fusion 360 Print
20 Forms Fusion 360
Fusion 360 Vase Design
- i used a zig-zag pattern around the base, and staggered the second and third levels so there would be a curvature to it to give it a cool design. I was careful to not to make it too steep so that it would print out without any trouble.
Fusion 360 Vase Prints
- Overall I like how it turned out, if I had to do it again i would make it taller and thinner (in terms of the width of the base). I liked how thin the wall is and how fine the edges are.
20 Forms in OpenSCAD
Summary of Group OpenSCAD Project
- Cupholder (with Jon Cheslock)
- Overall I enjoyed this project. I’m glad that the idea came from something in my life that is an inconvenience (the cupholders in my car not being the right size for the bottles I use sometimes), and trying to make something that could solve this problem). If we were making these for actual use we would try to have more exact measurements, but overall they turned out okay. We also realized they could be used as a coaster.
Reflections and Future Projects
- I greatly enjoyed this course. It was fun to learn something completely new in my last semester of college. My favorite things that I printed were a model of Fenway Park (my favorite baseball stadium), and the Washington Monument. In the future I would love to 3d print a ship (since I love the water), or maybe learn how to do a more detailed version of Fenway or another stadium or a monument or something like that since I love traveling and sightseeing.