Welcome to the second week. Pretty much like the first week. Here we go…
Step 1: Week 2 kickoff meeting – Monday 10:10 am
- You can see the recording of Monday’s meeting from the link in Canvas
- Agenda: Talk about last week, discuss new simplified grading policy and C/NC grades, overview of Week 2, introduce Riemann Sums
Step 2: Warm-up Videos
- Watch this Trefor Bazett video on the idea of using rectangles to approximate area under a curve
- Watch the Taalman/Kohn video on approximating the area under a curve with a Right Hand Sum (look in WebAssign under Resources and go to the Section 7.2 Calc Clip)
- Watch this Khan Academy video on expressing a general (left) Riemann sum in sigma notation
- (I’ll add new videos here as the need arises)
Step 3: Read the Book
Step 4: Take a break
- Don’t forget to rest. And eat. Eat something nice that you like. Eat nice food that makes you feel good. Then go take a nap.
Step 5: Start the WebAssign homework
- Log into WebAssign from Canvas and do the Section 7.2 homework
- See the notes in Step 3 for information about the six problems on this assignment.
- Note: I recommend you get to this point as soon as possible in the week… by Wednesday if possible
Step 6: Watch some more videos, if you want
Step 7: Reach out if you need help!
- If you need help now or at any point: For math questions, use Canvas Chat or Discussion, or contact the SMLC. For other questions text Dr. Taalman directly.
Step 8: Week 2 Roundup/Drop-In Meeting – Thursday 4-6 pm
- NEW DAY/TIME – Attend the Zoom drop-in 4-6pm Thursday 4/2 (link in Canvas)
- Or, if you can’t attend, watch the recording: (Link to be added in Canvas later)
- Agenda: Discuss wekly updates, get math help, ask Dr. Taalman anything
Step 9: Finish the homework
- If you haven’t finished the WebAssign yet then do that now 🙂
Step 10: Take the Mastery Quiz for Section 7.2
- When you’re ready, take the 7.2 Mastery Quiz in Canvas (and retake if needed)
- Note: I recommend you take your first quiz attempt by Friday or Saturday if possible
- Click here to read details about quizzes - read BEFORE ATTEMPTING any quiz
You must finish the WebAssign homework and both quiz attempts before 11:59 pm on Sunday — but having said that, these are not normal times; please just text me if you need an extension due to personal, economic, or family situations.
When you’re done with everything, please fill out this End-of-week-2 Survey.
Good luck, wash everything, stay put, and do what you can to help your families and our nation get through this crisis. Please reach out if you need anything at all.