Dear Reader, This week we’re able to see some physical prints of the stl infills generated through the process described my last week’s post. The prints and pictures are all courtesy of Professor John Bowers. Here are photos of a print using the shell included: Thanks for tuning in this week. -Xiang
As the title suggests, this is just a quick update on the 3D printing project I’ve been doing this year. First, after multiple failed attempts to print the Perko knots attached to pegs for the praxinoscope, I have finally created a model that passed all of Shapeways’ tests! The link to its page is here. Here are […]
Dear Reader, This past week I have read over the official OpenSCAD documentation and achieved a limited but sufficient understanding of the OpenSCAD scripting language. To the Sphere Packing software, I have added a new file output for the graph edges as well as a file output for the mesh triangles. Unfortunately, since it doesn’t […]
Dear Reader, A major goal of my Sphere Packing research is to actualize the mathematics and computer models into novel techniques for the mesh generation portion of the 3D printing process. To this end, we need a way to complete the full process starting from an STL model of a 3D object and ending with […]
In the summer of 2015, I did a research project characterizing the critical groups of the Rook’s graph and its complement. I won’t be talking much about that specific project here – instead, I just want to look at the structure of the Rook’s graph. The Rook’s graph is a specific type of chessboard graph. […]
Dear Reader, Since the last time I posted, I have added the ability to generate a different lattice structure to the Sphere Packing software. This new lattice structure is called the hexagonal close packed (hcp) lattice. It is one of the tightest ways to pack equally sized spheres, with the other way being the face-centered cubic […]
I’ve made some progress in the past week with getting a implementation of OpenSfM running on my own machine and finally have done so. I ran a couple of test 2D images through the reconstruction pipeline with moderate results. So, I thought it was time to run some actual 3D printed material through it.