Hello and welcome to this crazy new class!
- Roll and introductions
- What this class is about
- Goals and structure of class, website, etc…
- Formal policies to be developed later, somewhat cooperatively
- Discussion: What makes data/charts/graphs relevant? Interesting? Intuitive? Or, what makes a graph bad, and why? How might a third dimension add nontrivial meaning and relevance to data/charts/graphs? Image to consider: 2017 Northam/Gillespie map
Here is a brief look forward to the next week or two:
- Today – discussions and a 3D printing demo that may or may not work, intro to Tinkercad, followed by a 3D design assignment
- Wednesday – I’m out a conference, you have about an hour of videos to watch about data and various topics, followed by a writing assignment
- Next Monday – MLK day
- Next Wednesday – Hand in your written assignments, print your Tinkercad assignments, discuss the videos and next steps.
3D printing demo time!
- Everyone 3D print a Penny Trap
- Everything might go wrong
- You have one writing assignment and one design assignment, both of which require a significant time investment. Both are due and will be checked on Wednesday 1/15. See the Assignments page for details.
- So… don’t wait until next week, get started now and take advantage of the time you have!
// Cover image from NovaNext